Urgent and Important matrix tool to prioritize
Great time management means being effective as well as efficient. Managing time effectively, and achieving the things that you want to achieve, means spending your time on things that are important and not just urgent. First we need to understand what is important and what is urgent.
- Important activities have an outcome that leads to the achievement of your goals.
- Urgent activities demand immediate attention which may or may not lead to achievement of goals. These might be related to an uncomfortable problem or situation that needs immediate focus of yours.
Understand Four Quadrants of the Matrix :
- Urgent and Important – Is a red area ( A ). There are two distinct types of urgent and important activities:
- You could not foresee- e.g. system breakdown, sudden important request which needs immediate attention, a team member not well so you are working on some thing important
The best approach is to leave some time in your schedule to handle unexpected issues and unplanned important activities. This is known as contingency time and it can be 10% of your complete schedule.
- You have left to the last minute.- You can avoid it by planning ahead and avoiding procrastination (explained in next steps)
- Not Urgent, but Important – Is a green area ( B ).
This should be your key focus area. These are the activities that you can plan ahead for to achieve your goals and complete your work. Make sure that you have plenty of time to achieve these, so that they do not become urgent. And remember to leave enough time in your schedule to deal with unforeseen problems. This will maximize your chances of meeting your targets but will help you in avoiding stress because of focusing on urgent activities.
- Urgent and Not Important- Is a yellow area ( C ).Urgent but not important activities can be a constant source of interruption. They stop you achieving your goals and completing your work. Common examples with some remedies are summarized here :
- Payment of telephone bill on last date- use other means like ECS etc to avoid it
- Submitting your claims on last date- plan it properly in weekends
- A meeting in which you are just a spectator- express sorry and avoid it
- An important request from your peer/friend,- express sorry and avoid it
- A task for which you took the responsibility but it belonged to some one else.-Learn not to take other’s monkeys (read chapter 17)
- Your boss has asked for some task which actually has no relevance- Explain him logically and convince him or get convinced internally.By avoiding such tasks during productive hours you can focus the flow of work on your important activities.
- Not Urgent and Not Important – Is a gray area ( D ).
These activities are just distractions, and should be avoided if possible. Some can simply be ignored. Some examples are:
- Personal phone calls in office hours.
- Personal emails
- Meetings without any agenda
- Travel time in peak hours
- Net browsing without any specific purpose
- Coffee breaks
- Chit chats with friends and peers
- You have taken tasks, which actually belong to some one else..
Why do you need task management software?
We need application to manage the tasks. We require it for all type of tasks actually i.e the ones which we identify for us from our mails/calls etc or the ones assigned to us by our superiors or the ones which we assign to others. To manage all these tasks it is important to have task management software.
Most of the current tasks management software are To-Do list management tools but not for managing all kind of tasks. As a result people end up using To-Do list tool only as task management software.
Task management tool will increase your productivity as it shall help to manage the tasks in effective and efficient way.
By using task management tool we can track all the possible tasks which we are supposed to execute or supervise and we can spend most of the time on important ones. Though as on date we end up spending energies on urgent but low important tasks while the most important tasks get put off until another day. The Pareto principle of 80/20 rule applies here i,e 80% of most important work gets completed if you try to figure out the 20% of high priority tasks. The task management software shall guide you the best way to find these top 20% of critical tasks for an effective project management process in a team.
Why choose Assigner mobile app as your tool for task management ?
Assigner is a task management mobile application. that assists task management and assignment of tasks by selecting contacts from your phone book. The assignee will receive the task through the application if the use has ASSIGNER enabled in his device. Otherwise, the task will be transmitted from your phone through an SMS.
In this way, you can keep monitor all the self assigned tasks, those assigned by others and those assigned by you. Thus you will always have a tab on all the tasks which you need to manage.
In order to manage too many tasks together, just mark out the urgent and important ones as closely watched and adjust your focus on them only.
This application opens 2-way communication between the assigner and the assignee.
-The moment an assigner completes a task, the application notifies the assignee for immediate closure.
-In case of urgency, the assigner can relay it by marking it with urgency level fire.
-If you need to notify or remind the assignee about task completion, use the built-in messaging feature to communicate directly with respect to the task. module helps you to effectively track key milestones, set dependencies and tasks to be accomplished for a productive work. With Zoho Projects as your task management software, you will have more time to do real work and will have to spend less time managing it.
Key features of Assigner Task Management Software
- Helps you to focus on self, received and assigned tasks
- Can use fire icon to assign high urgency level to task and also communicate it to assignee
- Can use close watch feature to focus only on few of the tasks .
- Can close a task by click of check box and it gets communicated to assigner also
- Can use messaging option against a task to communicate additional info or to convey urgency or for some clarification
- Works in offline and online mode.